A number of days ago in the Dewan Rakyat, an issue of scholarships for the bumiputras was discussed. A lot of MPs were worried of the dwindling numbers of bumiputras receiving scholarship.
Well, that’s not what I want to discuss about here.
What I want to discuss is the issue about the criteria of students receiving those scholarships. I can’t give you the exact quote of what Datuk Seri Nazri said but it sounded like this:
“Kita tak kisah pasal latar belakang pelajar itu. Dia miskin atau kaya, kita tutup mata pasal benda tu. Kita bagi biasiswa kepada pelajar cemerlang. Pelajar 15A1.”
Personally, I do not agree with Kerajaan‘s approach regarding this issue. They are giving scholarships to students regardless of their financial backgrounds.
Scholarship is supposed to be a form of financial assistance, no? Financial assistance is supposed to be given to those who have financial hardships! What’s the point of awarding scholarships to those who are already well-off! It would be a waste of taxpayers’ money to be awarding scholarships to students whose parents are millionaires, or even billionaires for that matter.
It is in my opinion that this will add to the problem of “the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer.”
Well, what do you think?
Visit Lumpy’s Movie Reviews
Other related posts:
– Why Everyone Should be Wealthy
– Lessons from Cashflow 101 Game
– Why Not Everyone Can be Wealthy
– What is Financial Freedom
– Passive Income Exceeding Expenses
– Journey Towards Financial Freedom: Food for Thought
– What is more important to you? Money or Family & Friends?
– Who’s richer? Siapa lagi kaya? Part 1
– Who’s richer? Siapa lagi kaya? Part 2